Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Apple Crisp Experiment

The Apple Crisp Experiment

Recently i made a peach crumble for dessert. When i attempted this peach crumble i under estimated the difficulty and measuring involved in creating the perfect crispy crust. I guesstimated the measurements and ingredients. The crumble came out looking beautiful, but with a sad excuse for a crispy crust. The filling tasted amazing, the crust was more chewy instead of crunchy as i had left out flour in the topping and used melted butter instead of cold crumbled butter.

I decided my failure should be redeemed by an amazing Apple Crisp.



First i hand peeled 6 Macintosh Apples.




I then cut the apples into halves then quarters, creating apple slices.





I coated the apples in 1tbs of flour, 2 tbs of white sugar, and 1/4tsp of cinnnamon.




Next i measured out 4oz of slightly chilled butter that i had chopped into small pieces.

By previously cutting the butter into small pieces i saved myself time when i had to use the pastry cutter to mix the butter in with the dry ingredients.


I then combined 1cup of flour, 2 tbs of white sugar, 5 tbs of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, and the 4oz of slightly chilled butter.  




I packed the dry mixture ontop of the apples in the glass dish.

The crisp baked for 1 hour and 15 minutes with the oven set at 350*F


~Here is the finished Apple Crisp.



The crisp tasted delicious with Vanilla Ice Cream, or a small amount of Creme Fraiche.
I will deinfetly be making this simple and tasty recipe again.

~By: Sage Bishop.



1 comment:

  1. Nice clear pictures and directions. I love apple crisp--it's one of my favourite fall recipes!

    ReplyDelete