Monday, May 7, 2012

Chronic Tacos: a Mexican twist for Vancouver

Vancouver is a city known for a few things, beautiful natural scenery, vibrant city life, great music and of course, mouth watering food. Our sushi is world famous, our Japanese infusion hotdogs have become an international phenomenon, our street vendors have shaped our culture, and now Mexican food has made it’s mark on the city. Chronic Tacos, an urban Mexican restaurant founded in California, has 7 locations outside of the golden state, and 4 of them are in the heart of Vancouver.
After hearing ad after ad on local radio stations, I knew I would have to check it out, so I took some friends down for a pre-concert dinner. I visited the Granville location, right in the middle of the Vancouver nightlife and concert scene. The restaurant perfectly reflected the culture of the area, with walls decorated in urban art, TVs hung up, showing the play-offs, and multiply pierced staff waiting to make up your tacos fresh.
I was impressed by the whole experience. Their radio tagline, “If it’s not fresh, what’s the point of putting it in your mouth?” now makes perfect sense to me, because the food was cheap (about 25 dollars for four people to eat) and just as fresh and delicious as they promised. I had their famous fish taco and couldn’t resist going back for another; this time, a chicken taco. I fell in love with the flavors! They were both divine, and I was told by my friends that the burrito option and less spicy option were equally as savory. Of course, they serve more than your basic tacos, everything from tostada bowls to nachos and quesadillas is available to fulfill your wildest mexican food dreams. Food coma, achieved.

 
textbook perfect taco

Another plus was the superb service. As I mentioned, everyone working there fit the lifestyle. The young employees were friendly, efficient and so relaxed. The store is open quite late to accommodate the partiers in need of a 2 am post club re-fueling. But even I (who am not of age & therefore do not go clubbing) felt at home at Chronic Tacos, despite my lack of tattoos.
I can now appreciate the recent addition to Vancouver’s food scene and I suggest everyone check it out, because who can’t appreciate the perfect taco?

Check out their website for more info on my new favorite taco makers.

-Neve

5 comments:

  1. I, too, have heard the ads and wanted to try it out. Your description makes me want to head there even more. It's also good to know that despite my lack of tattoos, I'll still fit in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely worth the trip downtown.
      I was a little weary about everyone's 'look' there, but the staff was so friendly and relaxed!

      Delete
  2. I love this place! Such a cool atmosphere, and awesome food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mexican food and have been trying to find a place in Vancouver for ages, i'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really really like mexican food, but I never know any decent places to go to. Some of the ones downtown just dont look nice to walk into. But Its the food that matters. And now that I know about chronic tacos, I will definitely make sure I try it downtown. I haven't had mexican food in a long time!

    ReplyDelete