Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Tasty Haven in the Ghetto


All I wanted was to have some tasty butter chicken for dinner, but walking in the most dangerous part of Nanaimo on a cold rainy night was something I had not planned for. My best friend and I had wanted to go out for Indian food, and the only Indian restaurant happened to be in the middle of the sketchiest part of town. Drug dealers, crime ridden, prostitution, all that fun stuff. We headed out from a quaint coffee shop, and after roughly half an hour, we realized we had no clue where Gateway to India was. “Wonderful,” I thought. “We’re in the middle of nowhere, with no Gateway to India in sight, and I will probably be mugged any second now.” But just as I was starting to despair, I looked to my left and saw the blessed sign of a safe haven amidst the downpour. When we got in, a spirited young Scottish lady took us to our table, and immediately served us glasses of water. Throughout the whole night, she seemed to read our minds with her superb service and diligence of making our stay as enjoyable as possible. The food was absolutely delicious. For our appetizer, Braedan and I had naan bread with mango chutney which was mouth-watering, but nothing prepared us for our butter chicken, chicken masala and basmati rice dishes. The atmosphere was dimly lit, with background traditional Indian music hinting in the background, perfect for conversation. Overall, Gateway to India exceeded my expectations, with its exceptional service, quality of food, and relaxed atmosphere. The only objectionable aspect was that its location was challenging to find. Gateway to India congrats, I rate you Five Stars. Well done.
http://http//gatewaytoindia.ca/
http://gatewaytoindia.ca/menu

6 comments:

  1. I remember trying to find an Indian restaurant in Hobart, Australia, where all the one way streets went the same direction. Glad to hear the meal was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Indian food, my mother tried to make Indian things a few times and it was great. I am glad to know and tell my family a good Indian restaurant!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally don't like Indian food too much, but this is a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your meal sounds like it was delicious. My cousins live in Nanimo; I might have to convince them to go out for Indian food when I head over for my next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite part of Indian food is the naan bread, absolutely fantastic! If you're looking for something similar, there is nooneh sangak, the persian version of naan bread. It's chewier and a tad bit sweeter and it's especially good baked and rolled with feta cheese. MMMMMMMMMM. :)

    ReplyDelete