Tuesday, April 3, 2012

behind the window

During the summer, I worked at a summer camp. We got about 120 kids a week, plus staff, and had to cook 3 meals a day for them. We also had an awesome reputation for the food we served. For the whole summer, I did not work in the kitchen. I would work hard and anticipate a delicious meal on the table. All I had to do was scooping it on my plate and enjoy! I never truly appreciated all the hard work that went into my meals. During a weekend camp, I was put in the kitchen. I gained a new appreciation for all the hard work that went into making my food, as well as what went into it. Some of the equipment in the kitchen was very different than the small utensils I was used to using. The coolest thing was probably the dishwasher. It took about 30 seconds to wash a whole load of dishes. The dish pit got so hot though! On one side, someone would be raising the dishes and scrubbing any that were really dirty, and then loading them into the trays to be put through the dishwasher. Then the other person would push down the top and turn it on. When the clean dishes came out, they were so hot that no one could touch them!

1 comment:

  1. I really like industrial dishwashers too--they're really cool!

    ReplyDelete