Sunday, April 15, 2012

roundel cafe

For the one full day I spend at home during spring break, my dad dragged me out of the house to the Roundel Cafe on 465 East Hastings Street. I was jet lagged and annoyed that he woke me up just to go to some diner and I expected to hate it. The restaurant was filled so we had to wait for about 15 minutes, which didn't impress me too much. While waiting I noticed everyone had some sort of tattoo, piercing or unnatural hair colour, from a gay couple in the corner to a young family with a baby.

The waitress led us to a seat by the table, but we had to squeeze past chairs, tables and bags. I tried my best not to trip and ruin someones meal. When we finally completed the maze, I started to look through the menu. They had everything from tofu burgers to huevos rancheros to corned beef hash to a side dish of vegetarian bacon. I ordered the tofu scramble and my dad ordered the huevos rancheros. The food came fairly quick despite the crowd.



I am not exaggerating when i say this was the best tofu scramble I have ever had. The tofu was mild and slightly sweet, mixed with spinach, sesame seeds and peppers. It came with roasted white and sweet potatoes and a simple salad. It is a really good dish as an introduction to tofu, because it was cooked perfectly and was defiantly not plain or boring.

I give the Roundel Cafe 9.5/10.

4 comments:

  1. Looking very delicious.It's watered my mouth,hope to visit there..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking very delicious.It's watered my mouth,hope to visit there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound amazing! How much was your dish? Are there other dishes there that you'd recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then do you think that your food was worth the wait? It sounds delicious even though you said that you were not too impressed with the restaurant to begin with. Would you recommend this place to others?

    ReplyDelete