Monday, April 30, 2012

Rock Cakes Anyone?


For anyone who’s ever read Harry Potter, they will probably remember Hagrid’s famous rock cakes (the ones that will break your teeth). I decided to use the Unofficial Harry Potter cookbook that I own to try and make my own version of these biscuits. There were good directions in this recipe, it was made similarly to how you would make a biscuit. I got out all my materials and then mixed all the dry ingredients together. After that I added the butter and then the wet ingredients and finally some raisins. It formed a sticky dough which I just scooped in balls onto the cookie sheet.
            When Harry and Ron talk about the rock cakes in the books they mention how they can hardly eat them because they will break their teeth! Unfortunately for them they didn’t have my version of the cakes which were very good. I found the recipe very easy to follow and the product turned out light and fluffy just like they were supposed to. I had to work hard to keep my sisters away after they came out of the oven.
            For anyone who is interested in trying to make these rock cakes themselves I would highly recommend this recipe, or if you are a major Harry Potter fan like myself I recommend the whole cookbook!
            Happy cooking.




1 comment:

  1. When I taught in Australia, rock cakes were one of the first labs that the Year 8's made. I really loved them (and the fact they didn't break my teeth!)

    ReplyDelete